When it comes to relationships, it’s what’s on the inside that really counts. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be with someone you’re attracted to, but looks fade, and at the end of the day, all you’re left with is the love you and your partner share. But even though we love someone inside and out, does that really mean physical appearance doesn’t matter?
For one 70-year-old couple, the strength of their relationship was never in question, but they both often wondered if their lackluster appearances affected their bond. Well, thanks to their family, they received the makeover of a lifetime — and neither could believe their eyes when they saw the results!
Not many believe in love at first sight, but that was definitely the case for Kevin and Jo Taylor. The couple first met in high school in 1967, when Kevin was just 16 and Jo was a full two years younger.
Even in those days, Kevin and Jo were inseparable: they studied together, played together, and even partied together. Yet the thing that seemed to bond the couple most was their shared love of adventure.
For them, each day brought a new opportunity to explore and push the boundaries, and they did so in the carefree way that all kids seem to do. But life catches up with you eventually, and Kevin and Jo soon embarked on new kind of adventure: parenthood.
Ferranie / Flickr
One after another, the couple welcomed five children into the world, effectively putting their days of carefree living on hold. Yet this newfound responsibility did little to quell their adventurous spirits, and as their family grew and grew, they still found ways to live life to the fullest.
When Kevin and Jo’s 50th anniversary came around, the wrinkles and grey hairs still weren’t enough to stop them from living a life of adventure. On the back of Kevin’s motorcycle, they looked nothing like the kind of people you’d call grandma and grandpa.
But alas, they were, and whether they felt their age or not they certainly looked it. The hustle and bustle that came with 50 years of child and grandchild rearing had certainly taken its toll, and for Kevin and Jo, self-care had fallen way down their list of priorities.
By this time, Kevin’s once well-groomed beard now hung way down to his chest, and Jo’s flowing locks had grown matted and unkempt. They knew they needed to make a change, but where would they even start?
While Kevin and Jo debated their next move, their family was already one step ahead. Right beneath their noses, Kevin and Jo’s children and grandchildren were planning to give them an unforgettable anniversary present…
Philippe Lazaro / Flickr
But things wouldn’t be as simple as just buying a gift. The family was looking to get Kevin and Jo on The Today Show‘s Ambush Makeover for their much-needed style revamp, though there was no guarantee that the couple would be picked for the segment.
Regardless of the odds, they took a shot, and, miraculously, Kevin and Jo made the cut! This was one huge hurdle out of the way for the thoughtful family but now came the hard part: convincing their parents to actually appear on the show.
After talking it over, the family came right out to Kevin and Jo with their plan, framing the experience as “the adventure of a lifetime.” Jo was fully on board with the idea, but Kevin wasn’t so sure it was for him.
In fact, Kevin flat out refused the moment the family told him! His biggest fear was that the stylists would end up completely removing his beard, which he felt was an integral part of his look and identity.
Ultimately, Kevin decided to go for it, admitting that his beard was definitely getting too long to handle. With both parents in agreement, the children reached out to the show and accepted the offer. Their plan was officially a go!
When the big day arrived, Kevin and Jo showed up to the studio the only way they knew how: on the back of Kevin’s motorcycle. The couple was curious as to how the day would play out, but, as they’d done with every adventure before, they welcomed this new experience with open minds.
Thankfully, they’d soon find themselves in very good hands. Their main stylist was set to be none other than the legendary Louis Licari, and with TV personality Jill Martin at his side, it appeared that Kevin and Jo were truly in for the makeover of a lifetime.
The Today Show
But even in such capable hands, Kevin and Jo couldn’t help but feel a little nervous about the experience. With so much history between the two and their hair, they both silently worried that losing it would be like losing part of themselves.
The Today Show
The moment of truth finally arrived, and the couple swallowed their fear as they were separated for the first time in decades to undergo their transformations. And when all was said and done, not even they could believe their eyes…
The Today Show
Jo looked like a completely different person! Her long hair had been cut, styled, and colored, and the makeup they’d put on her made her look ten years younger. She’d even exchanged her baggy, ill-fitting clothes for a fashionable fitted jacket.
The Today Show
Kevin looked equally as amazing. Clad in a black suit and sporting a brand new haircut, Kevin emerged with a bouquet of flowers to present to his beloved. And even despite his protests, he’d let the stylist cut and dye his beard, making him look suave and well kept.
Never in their wildest dreams could they have imagined a makeover this drastic, but beneath it all, they knew it was their love for one another that’d kept them together all these years, not appearances. But with newfound confidence, Kevin and Jo were now ready to make these next 50 years even more memorable than the last.
The Today Show
It certainly took a good amount of elbow grease to transform Kevin and Jo, but not everyone in their 70s is struggling to look good. Take Goldie Hawn for example. Not only is she still serving looks at 73, but she’s doing so while also running her Goldie Hawn Foundation, which helps underprivileged children. What a star!
2. Candice Bergen: As a young woman, Candice was a fashion model, appearing on the cover of Vogue. When the fashion industry deemed her too old to model, she revealed her talent as an actress and has since won many awards for her TV and film roles like Murphy Brown.
3. Brigitte Bardot: While Brigitte started her career as a ballerina, she was quickly scouted by modeling agencies for her classic look. Soon, she became a globally loved model, actress, singer, dancer, AND an animal rights activist. You won’t catch her in fur!
4. Diana Ross: At fifteen, Ross joined the Primettes — a sister to the male vocal group called the Primes — and rocketed her music career. Since then, she has won more than a dozen music awards and has acted in several films — she’s just as loved as ever!
5. Cher: Commonly referred to as the Goddess of Pop, Cher’s been described as embodying female autonomy in a male-dominated industry. Her distinctive contralto singing voice, and her variety of styles and appearances, have certainly set her apart during her six-decade-long career.
6. Twiggy: She was a catalog-only model when a stylist chopped off her hair, thickened her mascara, and jumpstarted her career as the very first supermodel. Since then, she has coached America’s Next Top Model contestants and other young women who want to make it in the industry.
7. Barbra Streisand: In the 1960s, Barbra became famous for her musical talent and her sense of style. She has continued her recording career but is now also a well-respected director and producer.
8. Jane Fonda: A woman of many talents, Jane has proved herself worthy as a Broadway, TV, and film actress, model, writer, model, and fitness guru. She is also a political activist who protested the Vietnam war, the Iraq war, and pipelines on Native American soil.
9. Jodie Foster: Jodie has used her years in the movie business quite productively, as she has received two Academy Awards, three British Academy Film Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, and the Cecil B DeMille Award.
10. Marsha Hunt: This actress is mostly known for starring in the musical Hair, although others might know her as the love interest of Mick Jagger, who wrote the song “Brown Sugar” about her. She has written three novels and an autobiography, which include her experiences as a breast cancer survivor.
11. Maggie Smith: These days Dame Maggie is best known as Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter series and Countess Crawley on Downton Abbey. But she began her career on stage, opposite heavyweights like Sir Lawrence Olivier.
12. Raquel Welch: While Raquel had the looks to be a supermodel, she mainly focused on acting and music. She carved out a place in movie history portraying strong female characters and breaking the mold of the submissive beauty symbol.
13. Yoko Ono: Many only think of her as “that woman who broke up the Beatles,” but Yoko is a musician, multimedia artist, and a peace activist. She has swapped out her hippie style for an edgier look, but her spark and passions have always remained the same.
14. Mary Tyler Moore: Due to her roles on both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Dick Van Dyke Show, Moore became a feminist icon. Later in life, she was an author and an activist until she passed away from pneumonia in 2017.
15. Maureen McCormick: Nearly every American knows Maureen McCormick as Marcia Brady on The Brady Bunch, but she has since shaken things up a bit. She struggled with personal and mental health issues for a while, wrote about it all, and began producing music.
16. Mia Farrow: Perhaps Mia’s most iconic role in her youth was Daisy in the movie adaptation of The Great Gatsby. She then dated Woody Allen for a while and starred in many of his films before settling down to be a mother. Eventually she picked up acting again, this time on Broadway.
17. Nancy Sinatra: Much like her boots were made for walkin’, the Sinatra family was made for singing. She has produced some famous hits and starred in several films and TV shows. She still performs and appears on TV, albeit much less so than during her early days.
18. Nichelle Nichols: Originally a singer, Nichelle’s acting career took off when she landed a role in the Star Trek TV series and several other popular shows and films. She has also worked with NASA to recruit minority and female personnel for the space agency.
19. Priscilla Presley: Sure, being the ex-wife of Elvis Presley doesn’t hurt ones’ career, but Priscilla has definitely earned her status as an actress and business magnate. She starred in the famous series Dallas before turning her attention to business, fragrance lines, and charity work.
20. Diana Rigg: In 1965 Diana Rigg took the small screen by storm, kicking serious behind in the smash hit show, The Avengers. Today she’s still kicking behind, only now she’s doing it on Game of Thrones.