Have you ever experienced that heart-stopping moment when you watch helplessly as your car keys fall towards a sewer grate? What about when you see a glass tip over in slow motion, ready to spill all over your floor? These split seconds are enough to raise the heart rate of even the calmest person.
But sometimes when we brace for the worst the exact opposite happens. Maybe those keys fall just next to the open sewer, or something suddenly prevents that glass of liquid from ruining your carpet. As these people found out, sometimes fate does look down at you with a smile…
1. Baseball is all fun and games until a bat breaks and goes careening into the crowd. When this sunglasses-toting hero is around, though, nothing stands a chance at ruining an afternoon at the game.
2. This stack of coins belonged to one man’s grandfather who served in World War I. He was shot by a German soldier, but this stack in his breast pocket absorbed the impact. Whoa.
3. Boys and girls, this photo is all the evidence you ever need to explain why wearing safety goggles when working with heavy equipment is an absolute must. He was a centimeter away from the pirate life!
4. It seems like every time we walk over a grate that looks like this we instinctively hold onto our small belongings a little tighter. This photo is exactly the reason why we do it. This is beyond luck.
5. Shark experts say the first bite a shark takes is to see if they even want to continue eating. Clearly, the lucky girl in this photo wasn’t exactly what this shark was craving.
6. Whoever was sitting in the driver’s seat when this piece of aluminum siding cut through the front and back windshield is going to need some time away from the road. This kind of accident haunts people for a long time.
7. And the winner for the most acrobatic accident of all time is… this person! They get a score of zero for safety precaution but a solid 10 for accident execution. “For my next trick…”
8. There’s nothing like waking up for work with a piping hot cup of ranch-flavored water. As gross as the thought of steamy ranch is, there’s a part of you that wants to see if this actually works, isn’t there?
9. All too often you see people chatting away on their cellphones totally unaware of any potential danger around them. This might be the one guy who was on his phone and 100 percent aware of his surroundings.
10. There’s nothing like making a road trip with the family a little more exciting by taking the vehicle for a little off-road adventuring. Luckily for this family they remembered they forgot to put their off-road tires on just as they were about to get crazy.
11. Maybe this is a sign to stop playing everyone’s favorite game: blindfolded darts. One misguided throw will land an innocent bystander in the emergency room with a missing eye or an impaled foot.
12. What an electrifying picture! It’s hard to believe an entire pep rally was occurring in the middle of a thunderstorm, but this high school clearly doesn’t let poor weather affect school pride. They might want to rethink future rallies after this incident however.
13. Everyone on board this cruise ship held their breath as they passed underneath this bridge. Either the captain was positive he could fit, or he pulled off this maneuver on a wing and a prayer.
14. This hockey player remembered he forgot to shave before he left his house, so he did it on the fly in the middle of the game. He’s lucky that the NHL just signed a deal with Schick to make their new skates.
15. This road was in need of a natural archway, and thanks to a massive bolt of lightening, it got one! Everyone was so impressed that a cameramen was hired to film the incredibly bizarre event.
16. Broken glass on the kitchen floor is always hazardous, so it was nice this mug thought twice about leaping out of the cabinet. It chickened out this time, but who knows what’ll happen once the homeowners leave.
17. It’s amazing those wires were strong enough to hold up half a telephone pole. The front of that car has seen better days, and now it’s time to figure out how the heck to fix a problem like this.
18. The running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, is a daring event where people attempt to outrun the horned animals as they gallop through the city streets. Luckily, he made it out alive…by a couple of threads!
19. This is the absolute worst place for this cat to sit. All it takes is one hungry person who isn’t paying attention to fire up those burners and suddenly you have a four-legged ball of flames. Me-ouch!
20. Have you ever seen a boulder that was the size of half a house before? Hopefully the family that owns this home knows a team of renovators. They also might want to start a “check for boulders” initiation.
21. When this amateur photographer stopped to take a few snaps, she rested her phone on the bumper of her truck… and left it there. Luckily, the road was smooth enough that when she realized where she left her camera, it hadn’t moved an inch!
22. This woman was using scissors in the kitchen when she accidentally dropped them. Check out where they managed to land—just shy of her foot! There’s a reason they say to always wear close-toed shoes in the kitchen, but with a pedicure that fresh, could you blame her for tempting fate?
23. When a truck in front of him carrying rebar stopped short, this man was forced to slam on his brakes. His T-shirt didn’t exactly survive what happened next, but given what a close call this was, this lucky driver definitely wasn’t complaining.
24. The woman who took this photograph was running about 30 seconds late for work because she overslept. It’s a good thing she did, too; if she was on time, it would’ve been pretty hard to take this snap… from directly beneath the white car!
25. When this driver stepped out of his car, his key slipped from his fingers. All he could do as he watched it fall toward the sewer grate was hold his breath. Thankfully, fate was on his side, and his key landed perfectly on top without falling through.
26. As this woman posed for a photograph on the back of this boat, she had no idea how perfect her timing would be. Clearly, these dolphins and their young calf couldn’t resist an incredible photobomb opportunity.
27. This woman’s little girl simply adored her pet fish. So when she heard the family cat knock over the fishbowl in the middle of the night, she panicked. Imagine how relieved she was when she saw how it landed? Now all she had to do is figure out how to get the poor guy upright…
28. When you arrive home after a long and miserable day at the office, the last thing you want to deal with is some sort of plumbing problem. This woman arrived home seconds before a major disaster. Hopefully she cleared the drain right before it overflowed!
29. Scuba diving is no joke. There’s a reason people have to train and get certified before they are allowed to do it. That said, you can’t exactly get training on how to not have a shark chomp your head off. This is one lucky diver!
30. Some people say that buying scratch-off tickets is a total waste of money. Just try telling that to this lucky player who managed to snag a lottery ticket that didn’t have one losing number among the bunch. It’s enough to make you think about playing the numbers, isn’t it?
31. When you work in construction, accidents can happen—and sometimes they are serious. This roofer’s leg bumped into the wrong end of a nail gun and he was raced to the emergency room. X-rays revealed that he was centimeters away from a shattered knee! Phew.
32. Ask yourself: how often do you look at your toothbrush before putting it in your mouth? If you’re like most people, the answer is “not very often!” Well, after seeing what almost happened to this guy, chances are you’ll be singing a different tune.
33. When you have a craving for some fried chicken, nothing else can hit the spot. It’s clear that the powers that be felt the same way! How else can you explain this miraculous mid-fall save?
34. Have you ever watched a hockey game and wondered if those crazy masks that the goalies wear are really necessary? The massive lump on this woman’s head and her broken mask should definitely clear that up for you.
35. The last thing you expect when you’re driving down the highway is for an axe to come flying at your windshield. But that’s exactly what happened to this driver! Thankfully, their dashboard took the brunt of the impact. Yikes!
36. There’s lucky, and then there’s double lucky—like the owners of these two vehicles. They were probably just looking for good parking spots. They had no idea how good their spots would actually wind up being…
37. This hiker had no idea that their stroll along a new trail very nearly became their last hike ever! That was, until they spotted this deadly rattlesnake moments before stepping on it. That wouldn’t have gone over very well… to put it mildly.
38. These earbuds are all tangled up from having gone through the washing machine and the dryer! But this person didn’t share this photo for that reason; they shared it to express their joy over the fact that the earbuds still worked—miraculously—even after that ordeal!
39. It’s always good to be careful crossing the street, even if you’re on the phone. If you think otherwise, please check out this cell phone user’s near-death experience as she bounced off the door of a passing truck. Ah, youth.
40. This driver surely have to consider themselves blessed for escaping this near-death experience. Meanwhile, the poor tree simply wanted a closer look at the dope ride chilling in the driveway!
41. Everyone knows that spilling liquid of any kind onto your computer usually means that it’s going to be DOA. This ever-so-lucky electronics user has fate to thank for their amazing near-miss!
42. This police officer was so caught up in a high-speed chase that he drove another car off the road while trying to pass a tractor trailer truck. This looks like something out of a movie, doesn’t it? Thankfully, it looked like everyone was okay.
43. This newly engaged woman was doing the dishes when she heard a strange clattering sound in the drain. She impulsively reached down to grab the item—which was the stone from her engagement ring! Guess diamonds are a garbage disposal’s best friend, too.