As long as you keep your eyes open, it’s impossible to get bored at a museum. Masterpieces and surprises await you around every corner, and you never quite know which pieces will stun you. In rare cases, it might even be a painting of your own face!
These lucky museum guests stumbled upon their exact doppelgängers in old portraits. In fact, for many of them, the resemblance is so striking that you have to wonder if they might’ve discovered long-lost relatives…
1. For decades now, Weird Al Yankovic has spoofed the biggest pop songs on the radio. It turns out that his face is also a parody of sorts. He looks just like St. John the Baptist by Leonardo da Vinci! Maybe we should call him St. Al from now on?
Twitter / alyankovic
2. Every parent loves showing off pictures of their new baby. Naturally, this proud dad couldn’t help but show off his kid when they found the exact likeness hung up on the wall. This pic will surely get more than a few likes online.
Twitter / hifrienditsme
3. If we didn’t know better, we would think that this girl actually posed for the portrait! The facial resemblance, especially in the eyes, is uncanny. Too bad museum works cost millions of dollars because this would look great in her living room.
Imgur / davidurbon
4. It’s a staring contest for the ages! When one art admirer visited a Zurich museum, he never expected to come face-to-face with his own profile. It looks like these two guys must go to the same barber as well.
Twitter / Melbourneer
5. When music professor Ross Duffin spotted this painting, he realized that he missed out on his real calling — becoming a knight. Ross certainly has the looks for it, but he sadly forgot his plumed helmet.
Twitter / Ross W. Duffin
6. Even science museums can be great for spotting lookalikes! During a family vacation to Italy, the Mansfields came across the caveman version of their son, Drew. Perhaps he found a distant ancestor?
Facebook / Todd Mansfield
7. Much of the time, twins wearing matching clothes come off as tacky. In this case, however, the museum fan needs to get herself a giant red hat — pronto!
8. While studying abroad in Spain, a Redditor and his classmates saw this painting of medieval war hero El Cid. They immediately thought their friend was El Cid’s second coming, so he happily posed for a photo.
9. These two blokes have matching hair, beards, and outfits — that’s a perfect score right there. Granted, it’s a fair assumption that the jacket in the painting didn’t come from North Face.
Imgur / Davidurbon
10. As the old Herman’s Hermits song goes, “I’m Henry the Eighth I am, I am.” This regal fellow bears more than a passing resemblance to the famed monarch. Though based on his authentic costume, it seems their meeting wasn’t much of a coincidence.
Reddit / scrmedia
11. What turns a good hair day into a great hair day? Well, finding a painting of your own lush locks will do the trick. You can bet this gentleman has a matching white dog as well, though unfortunately he wasn’t allowed to bring it inside the museum.
Reddit / racoon_goon
12. Hey now, don’t look so down. You’re supposed to be happy when you find your museum lookalike. With long hair like that, you two could start a seriously good metal band.
13. It turns out you don’t need to rely on modern shampoos and conditioners to achieve maximum volume. Despite the hundreds of years separating them, each of these dudes managed to cultivate his own mushroom cloud of hair.
14. Paintings are great, but some museum guests find sculpture doppelgängers, too! These two are almost a perfect match. She just needs some puffier sleeves, while all the bust needs is…an entire lower body.
15. This art fanatic may have just found his next Halloween costume in Íñigo Melchor de Velasco, a 17th-century Spanish nobleman. Not many people would be able to guess who he is, but at least it would be easy!
Imgur / joahdato
16. After bumping into this photograph of a very familiar-looking samurai, this Redditor wondered if he went though some kind of armor-collecting phase he forgot about. Since the picture was over 100 years old, he might’ve forgotten he was a time traveler, too.
Reddit / datman510
17. Isn’t it so embarrassing when you show up to an event wearing the same outfit as somebody else? Actually, when you just so happen to match a painting, it’s pretty stylish. The red scarf and flowers are also a neat coincidence.
18. One Louvre visitor snapped this excellent pic of another tourist and his twin painting. You have to wonder: did he even notice his doppelgänger in the frame, or did he just walk right by?
Reddit / realbobsnyder
19. The only time you expect to see your face framed in a museum is in the bathroom mirror. Nevertheless, this woman encountered what must have been her great-great-great grandmother, which must have felt pretty… great.
20. Here we’ve got three lookalikes for the price of one! There’s an ordinary museum visitor standing next to a photograph of Mexican writer and art critic Juan García Ponce standing next to his own portrait.
Facebook / Mike Kabler
21. Strike a pose! This red-bearded gentleman channeled his inner Ferris Bueller by mimicking the poses of the artwork. Hopefully he got out of the museum before his principal caught him.
22. Have you ever completely forgotten about a past job? Well, this guy blacked out all memories of his time as a medieval monk — until he came face-to-face with a painting of himself in his old uniform.
Art isn’t the only place that people are starting to notice similarities, and us average folks aren’t the only ones to have such doppelgangers. These old photographs seem to have resurrected in celebrity form decades — and even centuries — later…
1. Back in the 1800s, Matthew McConaughey had a secret double, and he looks alright, alright, alright. The key difference is that Matthew drives a Lincoln, while his old-fashioned doppelgänger voted for Lincoln.
2. That bearded man looks like he could be Ellen DeGeneres’ great-grandfather, but he’s actually famed author Henry David Thoreau! Ellen probably wouldn’t mind some alone time out in the woods, but Thoreau wouldn’t fare too well hosting a daytime talk show.
3. Eddie Murphy hasn’t appeared in too many movies in recent years. Could it be because he’s busy traveling back in time? This picture makes it seem like a possibility. These two guys could easily be trading places.
4. A woman named Shannon Welch shared a childhood photo of her boyfriend online. That part isn’t too unusual, but what’s eerie is how his middle school self is a dead ringer for Natalie Portman.
5. Nicolas Cage owns a lot of weird stuff: a pet octopus, a dinosaur skull, a couple of medieval castles. So it’s only fitting that he should also have a guy who looked just like him from 150 years ago.
6. Does Matt Damon have something to explain to his wife, Luciana? Fortunately, Will Hunting can rest easy in this case. That smiling stud on the left is nothing more than a guy who’s the spitting image of the A-list actor.
7. These days, people know Alec Baldwin for spoofing Donald Trump, but he actually bears a much bigger resemblance to another President — Millard Fillmore! The not-so-famous Fillmore served less than a full term, which is why most Americans don’t see the likeness.
Reddit / oxfordkentuckian
8. Maggie Gyllenhaal is descended from Swedish nobility, but she looks like she could also be related to Rose Wilder Lane. Daughter of Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder, Rose helped found the modern libertarian movement.
9. The King of Pop went through a ton of looks, so we can imagine he “borrowed” a few from other people. Is it possible this portrait was Michael Jackson’s style muse? Never say never in Neverland.
10. It’s hard to say what’s better, the fact that young Leo DiCaprio has a woman lookalike, or that her name is Judy Zipper? If Judy fell in love with Leo on the Titanic, we bet she would have made room for him on that floating door.
11. A Lannister always pays his debts, so Peter Dinklage shouldn’t mind emptying out his wallet for this stunning portrait. Capturing the likeness of court jester Sebastián de Morra, it would look right at home on the set of Game of Thrones.
12. Here’s two doppelgängers for the price of one! Andy Samberg and Daniel Radcliffe found their carbon copies in this vintage pic, and it’s almost hard to believe. Maybe Harry Potter cooked up another Polyjuice potion!
13. Gender-bending lookalikes are often the most impressive. One Redditor could hardly believe his eyes when he found an old photo of his mother that looked uncannily like Barack Obama. On the other hand, she appears to have a much more adventurous hat collection.
14. Mark Zuckerberg reigns over his Facebook empire, so it’s only fitting that he resembles a real-life monarch. He and King Philip IV of Spain share many features, though Mark lacks the prominent Habsburg lip that characterized many royal European families.
15. When Christina Ostrom dug through old family photos, she came across this gem of her grandparents, who look like Hugh Hefner and a much older Taylor Swift! Don’t know about you, but they’re looking 82.
16. Is this what Jack Sparrow looked like before he turned to piracy? In reality, Michael William Johnstone shared this headshot of his grandfather, who was a dead ringer for Johnny Depp — but maybe even more dapper.
17. We wonder what Justin Timberlake did before his solo career, and we’re not talking about NSYNC. Based of off this 1800s mugshot, we can’t help but wonder if he had a lucrative bank-robbing career back in the day.
18. Lots of people try to discredit celebrity lookalike photos, but this picture has the stamp of approval from the New York Public Library itself! Titled “Harlem Loiterers,” the 1939 image features the spitting image of Jay-Z. Too bad Beyonce’s double is nowhere in sight!
19. History buffs may recognize that congressman Thaddeus Stevens has the same look as famous tough guy Tommy Lee Jones. With that in mind, it’s no wonder that Steven Spielberg cast Jones to play Stevens in his historical masterpiece, Lincoln.
20. A wild and crazy guy like Steve Martin has no problem dressing up in wacky outfits, but he didn’t need to in this case! The figure on the left is actually a woman from the Victorian Era. Though she looks a lot like Steve, she would likely blush at many of his jokes.
Actors also run into their “twins” on movie sets all the time! It’s no coincidence that The Rock’s stunt double looks so much like him. That’s his cousin! Tanoai Reed has been doing stunts since 1995’s Waterworld, and started working with Dwayne Johnson on the set of The Scorpion King.
2. Andrew Garfield: Though it seems like a million different actors have played Spider-Man at this point, it’s still unusual to see two Peter Parkers onscreen at once! In this case, Andrew is swapping places with his stunt double, who’s wearing sweatpants for some reason. Maybe it’s laundry day?
WireImage / Bobby Bank
3. Charlize Theron: With the amount of driving and fighting that Imperator Furiosa did in Mad Max: Fury Road, it’s no surprise Charlize needed some help. If you can believe it, her stuntwoman ended up marrying Tom Hardy’s stuntman from the same film!
4. Ian McKellan: At different points in The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf is known as both “the Grey” and “the White.” Therefore, it’s only fitting that Sir Ian had two doubles! The one on the left took care of the stunts, while the giant on the right served as a scale actor next to the hobbits.
Reddit / Join_You_In_The_Sun
5. Jennifer Lopez: Doubles don’t always have to be lookalikes. For the music video for “Follow the Leader,” Jennifer Lopez used a stuntman! Daniel Arroyo, the man behind the J-Lo wig, is a parkour expert who carried out tons of cool tricks.
6. Dave Bautista: Although Bautista comes from the wild world of pro wrestling, he needed a stuntman for some Guardians of the Galaxy scenes. Coincidentally, his double Rob de Groot shares a name with another Guardian! I am de Groot.
Reddit / redditvlli
7. Quvenzhané Wallis: When it comes to child actors, the law often requires producers to bring in doubles to take over any dangerous scenes. Quvenzhané’s double is much older than her, but you’d never notice in the film. We can thank movie magic for that!
Imgur / usernameibarelyknewhername
8. Michael J. Fox: Four Marty McFlys — what the heck did Doc Brown do this time!? Fan ideas for Back to the Future Part IV aside, Michael is posing here with his photo double, stand-in, and stunt double. Seems like a film set is just as complex as any of Doc’s gadgets!
Reddit / Meunderwears
9. Chandler Riggs: Next time you’re freaking out during a Walking Dead episode, here’s a fun fact to cheer you up. While playing teenage zombie killer Carl Grimes, Chandler used a 33-year-old woman as his double.
AMC / Gene Page
10. Uma Thurman: Here come The Brides! Besides backing up Uma in both volumes of Kill Bill, stuntwoman Zoe Bell appeared in Death Proof and The Hateful Eight, which is no surprise. All film buffs know Quentin Tarantino loves working with the same actors.
11. Carrie Fisher: Looks like Jabba the Hutt snagged a second captive! Leia wore the iconic metal bikini after being captured in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Carrie later shared that the outfit was less than comfortable, but it made for easy sunbathing between takes.
Imgur / roadhunter
12. Johnny Depp: Stuntman Tony Angelotti was a dead ringer for Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow, but he left the series on bad terms. Tony suffered life-threatening injuries for a “human yo-yo” stunt and ended up suing Disney for negligence.
Reddit / Prid
13. Margot Robbie: With an unpredictable character like Harley Quinn, you need more than one performer to take on all her antics. When not working with Margot, stuntwoman Ingrid Kleinig also frequently backs up Evangeline Lily.
YouTube / Looper
14. Tom Cruise: The Mission Impossible star is adamant about doing his own stunts, whether he’s climbing the Burj Khalifa or hopping on Oprah’s couch. As Tom gets a bit older, however, he does use a double for certain projects like The Mummy.
15. Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz: Somebody stop me (from doing dangerous stunts on set)! With the cartoonish violence in The Mask, both Jim and Cameron needed experienced doubles. One of these tough nuts certainly doesn’t look too happy in such heavy makeup.
16. David Bowie: Anyone who’s watched Labyrinth has Jareth the Goblin King burned into their minds forever. But Nick Gillard did many of Bowie’s stunts, and he went on to choreograph the lightsaber fights in the Star Wars prequels.That’s only further proof that David Bowie is indeed an alien!
17. Bruce Willis: What’s this, the Blue Man Group out of costume? In reality, the two fellas on the right are backing up Bruce in A Good Day to Die Hard. When fighting that many bad guys, even John McClane could use a little back up.
18. Arnold Schwarzenegger: Oh no, it looks like Skynet has built another Terminator! Actually, wrong movie — Arnold poses with stuntman Peter Kent here on the set of Commando. The film had a $10 million budget, but apparently that wasn’t enough to buy shirt large enough to cover all those muscles.
19. Will Smith: A true film and music talent, Will Smith can do it all — but he actually doesn’t do his own stunts. He’s too precious to risk injury! Below, he poses with his double on the set of Collateral Beauty in 2016.
20. Chris Pratt: Wow, it looks like the scientists of Jurassic Park found a way to clone Chris Pratt! His double Tony McFarr also collaborated with him in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
Imgur / oligarchy
21. Chris Hemsworth: Stunt doubles go through the same costume and makeup as main actors. That’s why it was an eye for an eye on the set of Thor: Ragnarok. But even with Chris’ and his stuntman’s injuries, you know The Avengers wish they had two Thors on their side.
Instagram / bobbydazzler84
22. Robert DeNiro: Even a legend like DeNiro is glad to have his double step in. After all, he doesn’t want to have to pick up Zac Efron! For as talented as stuntmen are at picking up A-list hunks, however, some scenes still put even the best of them at risk.
23. First Blood: Sylvester Stallone is notorious for injuring himself while filming, and his first appearance as John Rambo was no exception. Filming three takes of the scene where Rambo breaks his fall from a cliff using a tree, he eventually broke three ribs.
24. Mission: Impossible – Fallout: Though he’s been doing his own stunts for years, Tom Cruise may finally be considering a stunt double after a scene went awry in his latest Mission: Impossible film. During a rooftop chase, Cruise mistimed his jump and smashed his foot into a building, breaking his ankle and halting production for months.
Variety / YouTube
25. Titanic: In a film that involves the sinking of a giant ship, injuries are bound to happen, even to its leading lady. Despite numerous precautions taken during her underwater scenes, Kate Winslet came down with a serious case of hypothermia and nearly drowned when her coat snagged on a submerged gate.
26. Ben-Hur: Fans of this 1959 blockbuster may cite the nine-minute chariot scene as one of the film’s highlights, but many are unaware that it was also one of its most dangerous. After being accidentally thrown from his carriage, a stuntman nearly lost his life after the remaining competitors came inches away from trampling him.
27. Point Break: The 2015 remake of this 1991 cult classic may not have killed box office numbers, but it very well could’ve done so to many of its actors. Though the wingsuit scene was performed by highly trained stuntmen, the sharp rocks and crags of the narrow canyon still posed a serious threat to all involved.
28. The Dark Knight: Not only did Christopher Nolan’s superhero masterpiece push the boundaries of comic book adaptations, it also went above and beyond with its action work. During the famous truck-flip scene, stuntman Jim Wilkey was actually inside the tractor-trailer and, amazingly, came away unscathed.
The Dark Knight
29. Now You See Me: During Isla Fisher’s water-escape scene, the actress almost drowned after a technical glitch actually trapped her underwater. The crew thought she was just doing a really good job acting, and it took almost three minutes for them to realize the real danger she was in.
Now You See Me
30. Waterworld: As we’ve already learned, open water and perilous stunts usually don’t make for a good mix. During the scene in which Kevin Costner is tied to the top of a ship, a real-life storm broke out and pummeled the helpless actor for almost 30 minutes. It’s safe to say Costner wasn’t too pleased with director Kevin Reynolds after that!
31. GoldenEye: The Pierce Brosnan-led Bond films may get a lot of guff, but there’s no denying that the stunts performed in them were incredibly dangerous. In one of the opening scenes of GoldenEye, stuntman Wayne Michael briefly lost consciousness falling too fast during the Contra Dam bungee jump.
32. The Wizard of Oz: This American classic may not seem like a dangerous film, but the 1939 fantasy flick had its fair share of injuries. In the scene where the Wicked Witch of the West makes her first fiery exit from Munchkinland, the trapdoor beneath actress Margaret Hamilton malfunctioned, sending her into the flames and leaving her with severe burns.
The Wizard of Oz
33. The Passion of the Christ: A brutal-yet-poignant film, The Passionof the Christ saw lead actor Jim Caviezel suffer a number of real-life injuries in addition to those inflicted on screen. Not only was Caviezel actually whipped a number of times, but he also dislocated his shoulder, caught hypothermia, and was even struck by lightning!
34. The Lone Ranger: Though Johnny Depp has had a number of close calls while shooting his Pirates of the Caribbean films, his role in this 2013 adaptation nearly cost him his life. After insisting on performing a high-speed horseback scene himself, Depp was thrown from the moving horse and almost trampled.
35. Kill Bill: Quentin Tarantino’s films are known for being violent, but recent allegations against the director by Kill Bill star Uma Thurman have cast the action classic in an entirely different light. Despite deeming herself unfit to perform the scene, Tarantino forced Thurman to perform a driving stunt that saw her crash her vehicle and almost lose her ability to walk.
36. Premium Rush: If you thought driving in New York City was bad, try weaving through traffic at 30 mph on a messenger bike. This was all in a day’s work for Joseph Gordon-Levitt during the filming of Premium Rush until a taxi cab ran a curb and sent Gordon-Levitt through the back windshield.
37. Raiders of the Lost Ark: The film’s iconic boulder scene may have been filmed using a fiberglass prop, but not all of Indiana Jones’ adventures were so free of peril. Stuntman Terry Leonard put his life on the line during this truck-chase scene in which Indy is dragged by — and ultimately climbs under — a ten-wheeled truck.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
38. The Exorcist: Another film not known for its high-risk stunts, this horror classic features one scene with a frightening real-life consequence. When the possessed Regan slaps her mother and sends her “flying” across the room, actress Ellen Burstyn was yanked so hard by her stunt cable that it broke her tailbone.
39. True Lies: On her 36th birthday, Jamie Lee Curtis blew out her birthday candles and then dangled herself off a helicopter in a scene for the 1994 film True Lies. Though the actress was initially hesitant to perform the stunt, director James Cameron let her know he’d be hanging out of the chopper right alongside her. How reassuring…
40. The Princess Bride: Cary Elwes was so committed to the scene in which Christopher Guest’s character hits him over the head with the butt of his sword that he encouraged Guest to actually hit him. Guest obliged, of course, and Elwes made a trip to the hospital with a mild concussion.
The Princess Bride
41. Roar: Notorious for its 11-year production, Roar is also responsible for 70 of its cast members sustaining serious injuries. The film’s star, Tippi Hedren, also suffered a number of life-threatening injuries, including bone fractures, scalpings, and even gangrene.
42. Whiplash: In an intense film about a jazz teacher pushing a young drummer to his limits, you probably wouldn’t expect significant injuries to occur. Well, you’d be wrong. In the scene where Miles Teller’s character tackles J.K. Simmons’ after cracking under pressure, the young actor hit his co-star so hard that he actually broke two of Simmons’ ribs.